October 9, 2010

Extra adjectives

If you are going to get in your car, most people don't say "I'm getting into my automatic minivan". If you are drinking milk most people don't announce "I'm having a glass of 2% white milk". If you are putting on a tshirt most people don't inform you that they are going to be wearing "a cotton/polyester blend tshirt".

Why then do many that eat organic foods feel the need to clarify that they are eating such foods?! "I'm cooking organic chicken with organic green beans and organic brown rice" "My son is eating organic gluten free cookies" "For dinner tonight I had a salad with organic lettuces".

Are they seeking approval from their fellow organic peers? Are they trying to elevated themselves above the non-organics out there? What is your agenda? There has to be a reason why some feel the need to prove they are eating this way.

You had rice for dinner. In this context, rice is rice - white, brown, organic or not. I can see labeling packages and menus as such and but in conversation it makes me wonder your motive for adding in that adjective. If you tried a new variety, sure, provide the descriptive (I tried Spanish rice; it was delicious). Otherwise, just eat rice.

Now I have no problem with discussions of food and life style choices, blog post, conversations, etc. My radar goes up on the constant insertion of these "extra" adjectives into millions of statements and status updates.

And yes, I do know a number of people who eat organic or natural foods or special diets that do not broadcast their choices, thank you to you!

No comments: